[Sca-cooks] 'Tis the season.

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 12:13:09 PST 2010

> Me, too! It's just that I'm not able to raise and slaughter my own sheep, and at the moment it seems to be almost the only way to acquire a sheep's pluck. Not to mention paunch.

On the up side, if someone I know slaughters a sheep, I *can* probably
get the innards :-)

>> and it drives me nuts that the authorities feel the need to save us from something that people have been eating for milennia.
>>

> Imagine how I feel about laws being passed concerning various saturated fats, rare meats, and less-than-fully-cooked eggs. At least the policies about lungs have a vague, if misapplied, justification (which I'm not saying makes them just, mind you) that doesn't quite ring to the same extent of that classic Windows-95 level of intelligence-insulting as the others.

I'm going to eat some eggs very lightly scrambled with butter in
sympathy.  Mmm... runny egg...

>>  I also think lungs + the right oats are what make a really nice texture.
>>

> They do. I have pretty severe issues with rolled oats in most applications, except maybe brewing. If you do ever do have occasion to make a haggis without lungs, a roughly equivalent amount of spleen (we get pork ones around here) work pretty well as a better option than simply omitting the ultra-rich, flavorful, gamy, slightly spongy meat. When it's ground the texture issues are largely irrelevant anyway.

Nothing wrong with rolled oats-- they make perfectly adequate porridge
and are a good ingredient for lots of different baked goods.  They're
just crap for haggis because they make it heavy and solid where it
should be light and crumbly.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,