[Sca-cooks] I Am Curious, German

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jan 1 23:25:23 PST 2010

>So i was wondering if any of these dishes look
>familiar to those who know SCA-period
>German-language sources well, in case some
>actually are historic, and not just ''inspired
>by'', which what i infer (perhaps in error) from
>what she wrote.

	It's certainly an interesting menu, I'm
sure it was delicious.  It's hard to judge the
"flavor profile" thing without recipes, but I'd
say that this menu seems to be "traditional"
German, not "period". The recipe names are modern
German.

	I'm pretty familiar with Rumpolt and
Welserin. It's certainly possible that I over
looked something they used, but my impression is
that a good cook chose a modern German menu that
was limited to period foods, but didn't use
actual period recipes.

>Zuerst - First
	In Rumpolt the first course is "Der erste Gang".

>-- Lauchsuppe - Leek soup from a pork-vegetable
>broth base with leeks, white wine, and
>saffron-milk.
	I love leeks, but haven't seen them used
in Rumpolt.  This sounds quite unlike any Rumpolt
Suppen recipe.

>-- Blumenkohl Krapfen - saffron-infused cauliflower fritters
	Kollis Fioris is mentioned once in the
Rumpolt as a Spanish salad, with no specific way
to cook it.  Krapffen are a filling wrapped in
dough, and either boiled or fried. Think ravoili
or pierogi. I'd want to see the recipe, but this
could be conjectural... even if "infused" makes
my eyebrows rise.

>-- Bratwurst - pork and beef sausages served
>with mustards and pickled summer cherries
	Bratwurst and mustard yes, although I'd
like to see the recipe.  No recipe for pickled
cherries, but you could probably call it
conjectural.

>-- Knoblauch-Brot Gemuese - Bacon, Greens, and garlic bread with butters
	I've not seen anything like this, it sounds modern.

>Zweitens - Second
	"Der ander Gang"

>-- Wildschweinbraten - Roasted Boar (red wine,
>port, juniper, and cherry balsamic marinade)
>served with roasted vegetables
	Boar in red wine and juniper seems likely
if conjectural.  Port and balsamic no.  Cherry is
used a sauce,  putting in the dish isn't
unreasonable but I'd call it conjectural.  I
haven't seen a recipe for roasted vegetables.
Which vegetables?

>-- Kohl - Sauteed red cabbage prepared with apple cider vinegar and bacon
	Red cabbage with vinegar to enhance the
redness is in Rumpolt as a salad.  Rumpolt puts
bacon in lots of things, but no recipe for
cabbage in bacon, I'd call this conjectural.

>-- Bohnenkraut Torte - Mint-brined tenderloin
>''pate'' with apples, dates, and honey-vodka on
>a pastry crust
	Bohnenkraut is the herb savory, which I
have not seen used.  Nor mint.  Nor vodka.
Earlier recipes use dates in savory dishes, but
Rumpolt only has a few sweet Date recipes.  There
are a number of recipes for "Muß" but not in a
crust.  I'd want to see the recipe, but this
seems conjectural at best.

>-- Geraucherte Rippchen - Rauchbier glazed
>pork-ribs served with sugar-wine preserved
>summer peaches
	Geraucherte means smoked, Rumpolt has
recipes for smoked ribs but the meat is cut from
the bone.   It sounds like this means a smoky
glaze, not smoked ribs. Rauchbier is beer with a
smoky taste because the barley is roasted.
Wikipedia dates it to the 18th century
	Rumpolt has peaches preserved in sugar, but not sugar and wine.

>Drittens - Third
	Der dritt Gang

>-- Gefuellte Champignons - Mushrooms stuffed
>with garlic and Italian sausage and roasted
	Urtatim, you are the lady with the
mushroom recipes, but I don't remember one
stuffed with any sort of meat.   Italian sausage
seems an odd choice for a German menu.
Champignons isn't a word used in Rumpolt.

>-- Panierter Kaese - Cheese Curds lightly breaded and deep fried
	Rumpolt has Cherries or figs or herbs
dipped in a batter and fried, but not cheese.
Panierter implies breadcrumbs rather than a
batter. No recipes anything breaded and fried.

>-- Erhalten Schinken und Obst - Guincale or
>Prosciutto thinly sliced over goat cheese and
>dried figs
	I haven't seen Schinken mentioned in
Rumpolt.  Modernly Schinken is ham and usually
smoked. It's not the same as Guincale or
Proscuitto.  It seems odd to serve it in the last
course, and combining it with goat cheese and
figs seems modern.

>Suszwaren - Sweets
	not a word used in Rumpolt.

>-- Apfelkuchen - Apple pie - just like Heinrich
>makes! [i'm not sure who Heinrich is, someone
>local to The West, i guess...]
	Rumpolt has recipes for apple turten, and
a sort of apple turnover.  At least one menu has
Epffel Turten in the last course, along with
fresh fruit and various sweets and pastries.
Rumpolt mentions "Kuchen" but it seems to mean
pancakes or crepes.   No recipe for apple kuchen.

I know its preaching to the choir in here, but
its a shame to make up recipes when there are
perfectly good period recipes available.

Ranvaig