[Sca-cooks] lutefisk and Lefse

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 07:41:00 PST 2010

On Jan 11, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> It was never about the lutefisk itself, or the haggis, or gefilte fish, or chitlins.  It was about the whole complex of family memory associated with the smell and taste.  The feel of sitting at grandmother's table.  The Love.
>
> Philosophically,
> Selene

Very well said, and all too frequently overlooked. Of course, we should probably try to avoid speaking in absolutes. Sometimes it _is_ about the haggis or the gefilte fish (else why bother even trying to make good ones or argue about which method is best?), or at least never completely not about them. But also never not about the cultural emotional investment and the symbolism thereof.

Adamantius (thinking of some of the weird stuff his Mom cooked over the years. mostly fairly conservative  but sometimes a little off the beaten track of popularity)

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter