[Sca-cooks] Whale meat

Vandy J. Simpson vsimpson at gto.net
Tue Jan 19 14:34:40 PST 2010

My whale did come from Iceland. Frozen from fresh, I believe. (Though trying to salt a bit might be possible....) I'm under directives from the gifter to cook it in some fashion and serve it at the end of the month at our Up-Hellya get-together.(Victorian celebration of a Viking Boat burning...We've been doing it since the beginning of the 80's.)

 I've noticed that most of the recipes I can find out there are all incarnations of the same one or two recipes, or are quite modern. Because I wasn't the one who bought the meat, and only received it as a pair of frozen chunks, I think I'll steer clear of the more steak-like preparations, and aim towards something more stewlike. I'll also be feeding this to a range of friends, not all of whom are completely adventurous. (Though we did mostly give the hakarl a try this summer....)

 Thanks for some of the leads and suggestions.

mortraeth/vandy