[Sca-cooks] Camping food

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 20 12:24:06 PST 2010

> Also, how do you keep your bread from getting stale and icky at
> a longer event?  I have a lot of trouble with condensation inside
> bread bags at weekend events, which isn't that big a deal because
> it's only the weekend, but I am thinking that it will totally ruin the
> bread, homemade or storebought, if it happens over the week.  I
> have tried keeping all the bread in plastic containers but sooner or
> later it is out in a bag inside a bag and then it gets condensation in
> it.
> .
>
> Christianna inghean Fearghus (from the Barony of the Steppes in Ansteorra)

For a long event, my solution would be bring a Dutch oven and bake.  If you
don't, be prepared to purchase uncut loaves of bread about twice a week,
more often, if you use sliced bread.

For storing bread, the first thing I would do is ditch the plastic unless
you are trying to keep sliced bread.  Plastic works best in a temperature
controlled environment.  It's meant to keep commercial bread from drying out
before you can eat it, so it keeps moisture in.  Not bad when the ambient
air temperature is constantly around 70F, miserable when the temperature
swings.

An uncut loaf of wheat bread without covering will go stale in about four
days.  Rye breads will usually dry out more slowly, the time being dependent
upon the original moisture content (dark ryes commonly being moister than
light ryes).  Storing the uncut loaves in muslin or linen bags will reduce
contact with the air and slow the staling a little while letting the
moisture that is pulled out of the loaf evaporate.  Once a loaf is cut,
serve it until it is gone.  Wrapping the cut loaf tightly in aluminum foil
will slow the staling for a day or so.

Bear