[Sca-cooks] Malvasia (Malmsey) and Rheinfal

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 11:33:40 PDT 2010

Unfortunately no one has done a CA on wine...if anyone would like to, I'd
certainly consider publishing it!!  And it's a great topic.  Maybe Stefan
has something in his "Flory-thingey."

Kiri (and in her alternate life, editor of CA)

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM, <wheezul at canby.com> wrote:

> I come from a culture that doesn't drink alcohol, so my education in the
> finer aspects of vino is sorely lacking.  I tried the florilegium but
> didn't seem to find exactly what I wanted to know about "Malvasier"
> [Malvasia] and "Rheinfal" in the German cookbooks I have been reading.
> I'm sure someone here has thought about this before me!
>
> Thank you for the "Grapes" thread which pro.  A little internet searching
> has revealed that Malvasia is also called Malmsey.  Does anyone know if
> this is just a specific name in English?  What might the wine have been in
> period?
>
> I'm guessing that Rheinfal is a type of wine that comes from the
> Rheinland-Pfalz region of Germany.  Google-fu revealed many types of wine
> originate there, and that there is surprisingly a near Mediterranean micro
> climate as well in the area.  But, I still don't know what that might have
> meant in the 16th century.  Cluebats?
>
> Is there a Creative Anachronist or some very good reference book on the
> subject of historical wines that might yield further details? I could go
> fishing in Worldcat, but it seems that picking wine books is like picking
> out a good cookbook from a title.  Recommendations appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Katherine

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince