[Sca-cooks] elderberries/flowers in Rumpolt

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 10:34:01 PDT 2010

  Hello,

I just tried the elder flower recipe below with some flowers I got from
a friend's place. There were some late bloomers on the property. The
berries are coming in season now.

The flowers are tiny and white, but turned brownish as they wilted in
the milk. They added a delicate flavor to the mix. I used a whisk to
stir in the flour, which got the job done, but was not used by cooks in
Rumpolt's time. I gave samples to my wife and two of my daughters. They
all had the same reaction: stop, think for a minute, comment that it was
"different," continue, eat the first sample, ask for a second, make the
remaining mix disappear. I think this is a simple and unusual dish that
makes a worthwhile addition to a chef's repertoire.

Guillaume

Take elder/ be it dry or green/ particularly however the flowers/ put
them in a milk/ and let come to a boil with it/ pour the milk through a
hair cloth/ take the elderflowers away/ stir browned flour into the
milk/ when it is cooked/ thus salt (season?) it/ and serve it/ through
bread over it/ that is sliced small/ sprinkle it with white sugar/ like
this it becomes good and well tasting/ tastes lovely from the elderflowers.