[Sca-cooks] Graters?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 04:50:54 PDT 2010

Hrothny,
Talk to Miguel of the Spanish Peacock.  I know he takes commissions and he
might be intrigued at doing something like this.

I would be interested to discover what they used in period to grate
nutmegs...it would be extremely difficult to reduce a nutmeg to powder using
a mortar and pestle.  I guess it could be done...use something like a hammer
to break the nutmeg into small pieces, then grind them in the mortar...but
surely they had something more sophisticated, certainly by the end of our
period?

Kiri

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Terri Morgan <online2much at cox.net> wrote:

> > http://www.ascasonline.org/articolo11.html
> > has the fancy silver ones that came to be common in the 18th century.
>
> <snip>
>
> I went looking online after reading the article you posted (I bookmarked
> microplane, just in case) and that led me to this:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110405926573&ih=001&categ
> ory=1219&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110405926573&ih=001&categ%0Aory=1219&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1>
>

> Wow. Not that I can afford something like that but it does intrigue me and
> challenge me to look around to see if there is something really rocking out
> there. That I can afford. :(
>

> But what a great 12thNight gift it would be for more than one of my
> friends.
>

> Hrothny

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince