[Sca-cooks] Graters?

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Mon Jul 19 13:37:25 PDT 2010

I love Scappi's tools - what a wonderful reference.  And the specialty
nutmeg grater is simply squee.

It got me thinking though - I wonder if in a more common kitchen they
would have used a regular grater?  There are several references to
"reibeisen" (graters) in the 16th century German cookbooks, and the images
I have seen of them are about half round and attached to a flat board.  It
might be pretty easy to make one with a hammer and punch.  It's sort of
like the 2nd one on the left here:

Katherine (still geeking on equipment)

> Well, THAT's a lot easier than my solution... I whipped out my cell phone
> and took a picture of the web-page, and then emailed it to myself. Clumsy,
> but it worked.
> Thank you, to everyone who went looking for examples. It does seem, after
> looking at what has been posted here and available via "Google", that the
> hollow tube style is (basically) timeless. That's good to know. And I like
> the little container that holds the grater and then can hold the grated
> spice for sprinkling. An elegant arrangement.
> Hrothny

More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list