[Sca-cooks] Banana Recipe

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 12:21:06 PDT 2010

Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens: Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq's Tenth-century
Baghdadi Cookbook (in the series Islamic History and Civilization)

Nawal Nasrallah, translator, commentaries, glossaries, etc.

Brill: Leiden, the Netherlands, 2007.

It's expensive. I think all Brill's books, which are scholarly tomes,
are expensive. I have bought them in non-SCA related fields.

This one is $195 ($175 from Amazon), but it is also nearly 900 pages
long, a real door stopper, and there are something like 600 recipes
in Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq's book alone. Then there are hundreds of
pages of Nasrallah's essays, commentaries, notes, and glossaries.
While no translation is perfect, i think this book is a real joy and
Nasrallah's additions are VERY helpful. The indices, however, are
REALLY frustrating.

For those of us into Andalusian, North African, Middle Eastern, even
South and Central Asian food, this is invaluable, well worth saving
up the necessary dinar.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita