[Sca-cooks] Pear Mustard question

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 15:03:00 PDT 2010

>I want to make some pear mustard. Problem is I have no way to keep
>it cool. Is it necessary to keep pear mustard cool? I will be
>pureeing the (canned) pears, putting in mustard powder, adding a
>little Pear infused balsamic venegar and some white wine. My other
>mustards I don't need to keep refrigerated since they use dried
>friend (if any), no dairy, vinegar and/or wine but haven't made this
>before and am uncertain if I have to keep it cool for safety's sake.

Can you mix the rest and keep the pears in the can, only adding them
when you are going to serve?

Since no amount are given, it depends on how you make it.  The
Rumpolt recipe was more like mustard fruit, than what we think of
mustard.   I wouldn't expect it to keep at room temp any more than
(for instance) applesauce would.  Here is a modern recipe to compare.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/22858/mostarda-di-frutta-(fruit-mustard).html

Ranvaig