[Sca-cooks] Pennsic queries....

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 12:31:06 PDT 2010

Yup...use them all the time.  They do work really well.  We haven't really
done the cooking-bag thing yet...unfortunately I had to add some ingredients
to the stew I made the last time I did this.  The only thing you have to be
careful about is that, with soups and stews, not to use the vacuum as you
will suck out juice as well as air...and it makes a HUGE mess!

Kiri

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com>wrote:

> > Sir Nathan (Calontir) used to provide period food for his royalty and
> > others by cooking stuff in advance, putting it in seal-a-meal bags,
> > bringing it in coolers, and dumping the bags into boiling water-not
> > as authentic a procedure as cooking on site, but a lot less work if
> > one person is doing it for many.
>

> I'm a HUGE fan and supporter of Seal-A-Meals. I've done large feasts
>
> using mainly Seal-A-Meals and pretty much all of our camping food
>
> is prepared that way. It helps that I work from home so I have time to
>
> cook everything in advance. A couple of advantages are the fact that
>
> cleanup is so fast and easy. Eat from paper plates and plastic utensils
>
> and serve in disposable aluminum pans so the only cleanup is for serving
>
> and prep utensils. You already have a pot of hot water waiting for that.
>
> Another is that I am frequently so busy at events and wars that I really
>
> don't have a lot of time for properly cooking a meal in camp. I would love
>
> to have the luxury to cook a period meal over the fire but that would mean
>
> I would have to reserve a day or at least a long afternoon to prepare. I
>
> think that doing so would be a lot of fun but I'm frequently called away
>
> for either knightly or Laurely duties. With the Seal-A-Meal I can come
>
> into camp and have dinner for 10 or 12 people within a half an hour.
>
> Not period and not nearly as much fun as preparing it on site or in a
> period
>
> fashion bur for necessity and ease of cleanup it can't be beat. (Well,
> going
>
> to food court beats it I guess but you can't host a dozen people for a week
>
> in the food court.)
>

> > David/Cariadoc
>

> Gunthar

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince