[Sca-cooks] Teens in kitchens was New Pennsic Rule - Update from the Source!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jul 8 03:04:23 PDT 2010

A letter posted on 7/7/2010 to the A&S 50 Challenge list from Chai'usun

> Deputy Mayor for Cultural Affairs
> Pennsic 39

regarding the new policy at Pennsic states:

> Please understand this is not the choice of the Cultural Affairs staff
> nor of the Pennsic University. This is due to a requirement that all
> teachers and volunteers working with the youth in the SCA must have
> passed a security screening. Cultural Affairs cannot guarantee that of
> all teachers in the A&S venues have been so screened, therefore
> this rule has been deemed to be necessary by the Society Minister of
> Youth.

So why won't this rule now apply to all the other wars and medieval
universities? (A class is a class is a class, unless there is
something special about classes being held in Pennsylvania which is
where the federal lawsuit against the Society is being contested.)
Right now for the Midrealm a two person deep rule applies to childrens
and youth classes but is not mentioned for adult or regular classes. I
don't find a SCA wide document posted on sca.org that deals with this.

And
Ok so now the question could well become a teen wants to volunteer in
your kitchen
or in your feast hall: Can they do so without there being a parent or
guardian present?

Must you now have background checked adults in the kitchens in order
for a 16 or 17 year old to help?

Wouldn't that be volunteers (volunteer cooks or stewards in this case)
working with the teens?

I know many college students that weren't 18 yet often helped me out
in a kitchen at times. Can you imagine telling a college student they
can't attend a class or work because they are still minors?

Johnnae