[Sca-cooks] Teens in kitchens was New Pennsic Rule - Update from the Source!

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Jul 8 07:37:40 PDT 2010

  In the Federal Government (Military) I have to have a signed waiver on
file from a parent to allow a "child" to take part in Volunteer
Activities.  That requirement has only been around for the last couple
of years so maybe JAG thinks this covers us.  Of course I think that
this is over-reaction on everyone's part.  Statistics actually seem to
say that children are on average safer today than they were in 1973
(couldn't believe this one so I checked it).  Yes there are the horror
stories, but there were a few then too.  In my Grandmother's time (1890)
a young lady took the family carriage out on the way to school.  The
carriage was found, but she never was.  This was rural Iowa. Teach your
kids to go nowhere with strangers unless they have checked with their
responsible adult (talking to strangers just isn't really likely to
endanger them any more than it did me in the 1950's).

At any rate, I wonder if the written waiver that works for the Military
would work for us.

Regina Romsey