[Sca-cooks] Results of Siege Cooking Competition at Battlemoor and thanks

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Thu Jul 8 09:02:24 PDT 2010

Sorry this is a bit late getting out, but I have finally
shuffled through the laundry to the paperwork.

First I would like to thank our wonderful judges for
donating nearly three hours of their day (some pulled from
the melee field)to this effort:  Mistress Monika von Zell
and Mistress Gwen-Cat von Berlin (both cooks of great
reknown, as well as their other many talents), HE Bjarki
and Master James David (both eaters of great reknown, as
well as their fighting and cooking skills).
 Yourencouraging comments, good humor and delight in the
dishes put before you made this a wonderful experience.

Second, a huge thank you to my intrepid assistant, Lord
Tyron, who assisted in hauling and toting, filling bags,
wrangling teams and tables. You made life very easy for
me.

Next, to the teams...

The Worchestershire Wenches (Caerthe) Marie, Magge,
Rowena, Adriana
The Flaming Fontaine Ladies (Fontaine dans Sable)
Alamanda, Angelina, Ana Kathryn, Emily, Alena
La Clairiete de le Nymphe      (al-Barran) Bronwen,
Solvieg, WIllough, Jen
Blaiddwyn Fireflies (College of Blaiddwyn) Rab, Sile,
Joey, Shaun, Amber

The winners were:  The Worchestershire Wenches
The Flaming Fontaine Ladies and La Clairiete de le Nymphe
were tied for second place
The Blaiddwyn Fireflies came in a very respectable third.

A mere two or three points seperated the teams.  The teams
knew the scenario beforehand, AND about 80 percent of
their food items.  There were several 'surprise' items
received that morning.  Three of the teams were new to
siege cooking and said this was one of the reasons they
signed up.  They didn't feel totally in the dark about
what was coming at them.

The teams were given the usual staples of chicken, beef,
eggs, butter, bacon, olive oil, vinegar, onions, carrots,
garlic, split peas or lentils, apples, lemon, flour, steel
cut oats, flax seed, salt, pepper, cone sugar, thyme,
marjoram, cinnamon sticks, mustard seed and could bring
one liquid dairy item of their choice (milk, cream,
yogurt).

The surprise items were pig feet (cut up), turnips,
candied ginger, dried figs/dates/apricots, dried orange
peel, beer and each team had one spice and one herb that
no one else had.  Mistress Monika donated the turnips from
her garden.

The highlights were a fruited dessert bread, lentil soup
with turnips, herbed cheese made onsite, grainy mustard,
butter made onsite, chicken pottage, beef roulade, herbed
crackers.

A good time had by all, and great food.  Very happy judges
and coordinator waddled down the road (no doubt in search
of a nap!)

Thanks to all who made it possible.  And a last thanks to
husband Connor who put up with me chirping about this for
months, and stood patiently by at Whole Paycheck while I
bought a LOT of tiny amounts of things while giggling
maniacally.

I had a ball!

Cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator, Student Admissions
University of New Mexico