[Sca-cooks] Teens in kitchens was New Pennsic Rule - Update from the Source!

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jul 8 11:44:47 PDT 2010

>Johnna -- I do not know the answer to your questions but I do know that
>Pennsic often has rules that apply only to it and not to other events in the
>Known World - Pennsic is not an SCA event but rather a private event -
>that's why the Coopers are in charge.  I see from your cut/paste that they
>do seem to be imposing some SCA rules (but perhaps not others) - it is
>confusing and the only real explanation is that this is what is being done
>for this Pennsic, we don't have a choice and next year we'll see what next
>year brings.

I'm not sure why you assume that the rule can't be changed for this
Pennsic. In fact, it already has been--the rule as been
"reinterpreted" to convert "legal guardian" to "any adult acceptable
to the parents." That was pretty clearly the result of the public
outcry against the rule.

>Several of the other lists I am on spent all of yesterday making suggestions
>and questioning why this or that isn't being done instead - sadly some of
>the discussions quickly deteriorated into some unkind back and forth - glad
>to see those lists quiet today.  It doesn't seem to matter that there might
>have been other alternatives - it is what it is, this year at least.

Why? There is nothing that prevents the relevant people from
suspending the rule for this Pennsic other than their unwillingness
to admit they made a mistake.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com