[Sca-cooks] Chicken-stuffed eggs from Nimatnama

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Fri Jul 16 14:41:29 PDT 2010

Oh mighty sages of medieval cooking,

I think I've been staring at this manuscript too long. I would love a fresh
perspective on this description. I've worked out a redaction but I feel I'm
missing something. How would you interpret the steps to cook this dish?

#173 Again, the method for making potherbs into pellets or for using eggs
with potherbs or making many-colored pumpkin with potherbs. Blow the fire
and cook plump minced chicken, add onion, fresh ginger and whole potherbs
and use it as a stuffing for the eggs of hens or of pigeons or of the eggs
of any other bird that is required. Put together cardamoms, cloves, white
ambergris, rosewater, camphor, musk, saffron, and salt, rub it on the
carcass and flavor it with ghee and cook it. Slightly cook some fresh
onions, add lime juice and flavoring and put it in the mince. Flavor it with
ghee and whole potherbs.

The "carcass" line is really throwing me. What do you think?

Interested in everyone's interpretations,
Madhavi