[Sca-cooks] books on graters

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 18 01:28:48 PDT 2010

Johnnae commented:

<<< Found these tonight on Amazon.

Silver Nutmeg Graters Paperback (May 1, 2002) by John D. Davis >>>

Lol. I spent a couple hours earlier today looking, too. Lots of hits on "nutmeg graters" but trying to find period ones wasn't successful. I also found this book on an antiques list, but without the description you found. It sounded like all these silver graters would be post period, and the description seems to prove this, without buying the book.

<<< I keep thinking the graters are in a Dutch still life painting or two that include spices.>>>

That also occurred to me, and it's still worth a look, especially for the 17th century. But the Dutch didn't take over the nutmeg islands and the trade until 1605. So Portugal paintings and writings might be a better place to search.  But I'm not sure if they painted all those food and table scenes, like apparently the Dutch did.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com