[Sca-cooks] Graters?

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Mon Jul 19 13:37:25 PDT 2010

I love Scappi's tools - what a wonderful reference.  And the specialty
nutmeg grater is simply squee.

It got me thinking though - I wonder if in a more common kitchen they
would have used a regular grater?  There are several references to
"reibeisen" (graters) in the 16th century German cookbooks, and the images
I have seen of them are about half round and attached to a flat board.  It
might be pretty easy to make one with a hammer and punch.  It's sort of
like the 2nd one on the left here:
http://www.mcclellanelmsantiques.com/Grater_collection_1.jpg

Katherine (still geeking on equipment)