[Sca-cooks] Author's Name (was: Banana Recipe)

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Jul 21 12:29:48 PDT 2010

>Among these men was the son of a Caliph, Ibrahim ibn al-Mahdi, who
>was an 'Abbasid prince, famed as a gourmet, poet, and singer, after
>whom dishes were named, some apparently actually from him, others to
>share in the glow of his name, such as Ibrahimiyya. He was a brother
>of the famed Caliph Harun al-Rashid (r. 786-809) and both are
>mentioned in stories in The Thousand Nights and a Night (which are
>fictional).
>
>--
>Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
>the persona formerly known as Anahita

And he was briefly an unsuccessful claimant to the Caliphate, front
man for al Ma'mun's temporarily disinherited relatives. I have a
story I tell at the bardic circle about the period when he was in
hiding in Baghdad.

Eventually Ibrahim was captured--disguised as a woman. His nephew had
him publicly exhibited in that dress for a few days, then turned him
loose.

al-Rashid is one of my least favorite among Caliphs, al-Ma'mun one of
my favorites.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com