[Sca-cooks] Pear Mustard question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 15:43:09 PDT 2010

On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> Sharon Palmer wrote:
>>
>> When I tried this, I used both the cooked pears and the juice, but re-reading it, I wonder if it means only to use the boiled down juice.  With the cooked pears, it didn't keep well.
>
> We read it as pressing the *pears* through a sieve with mustard.  It made a sort of applesauce-like condiment.  I don't suppose it would have kept well, but we didn't try.

Looking at the Rumpolt recipe, I'm inclined to agree that this is at least a possibility. You're clearly pushing something through a sieve; not sure what you'd need to sieve if it wasn't the pears. My suspicion is that if the cooked must/syrup is really thick and sweet, it might be possible for it to keep for a few days without refrigeration, even after the pears are added (they lose water, the mustard gains, equilibrium and all...)

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter