[Sca-cooks] Food identity search / Tacuinum sanitatis

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Thu Jul 22 13:44:07 PDT 2010

As far as I can see, a digital copy of the 1531 print of the Tacuinum sanitatis
is in the making at the GDZ in Goettingen, Germany:

http://gdz.sub.uni-goettingen.de/index.php?id=146&ppn=PPN630468524

<< Der gesucht Titel steht noch nicht online zur Verfügung - befindet sich aber
schon in der Produktion:
Vorgang: ellutacv_PPN630468524Autoren: Elluchasem Elimithar
Erscheinungsjahr: 1531
Erscheinungsort: Argentorati
Titel: Tacvini  Sanitatis Ellvchasem Elimithar Medici de Baldath, De sex Rebus
non  naturalibus, earum naturis, operationibus, & rectificationibus
Verlag: Schottus
Produktionsstatus: Struktur- und Metadaten >>

Here are a few comments.

<< the illustrations from "Schachtafel der Gesundheyt".>>

It is "Schachtafelen" (plural), literally: 'chessboards of health'. The book
contains several such chessboard-oid tables (along with the canones).

<< True to the earlier manuscripts, the Schachtafel is illustrated.  >>

The earliest (arabic) manuscripts and the bulk the latin ones are not
illustrated. What is copiously illustrated are a handful of manuscripts with
abridged versions like the Housebook of the Cerutti family now in the Vienna
National Library. The other ones are in Paris, Liège and elsewhere. These
illustrations are very different from the ones in the latin printed edition from
1531 and its 1533 german counterpart.

I have a lousy xerocopy of the 1531 book and a facsimile of the 1533 edition. As
far as I can see, the images are roughly the same, but very different from those
of the Cerutti tradition.

<< Interestingly some of the dishes seem foreign to the German table, but I
certainly don't know for sure.  I was wondering if folk would take a look and
see if they recognize any of
the oddball words I can't find in the German dictionaries. >>

I would probably best for you to get the edition of Hosam Elkhadem and work from
his indices to the arabic text.

E.