[Sca-cooks] irons for browning food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 24 16:30:41 PDT 2010

> Some Dutch Oven cookery uses a flanged lid that can be covered with
> coals to bring heat from above to the food inside, and there are
> also, IIRC, a great number of Islamic recipes that involve browning
> from above using a fire shovel or a vessel buried in coals.

A number of Rumpolt recipes call for coals on the cover so it is
heated above and below. (And others, I am sure).

Ranvaig

Maybe I'm only familiar with a small subset of cooking with a dutch oven, but I've always seen it used for giving even heating from all sides, from down from the top and up from the bottom. Basically an oven or an oven substitute.

Not a top down broiling or baking.  I guess you could do it though, by removing the dutch oven from the fire yet leaving hot coals on the lid. It would seem to be rather slow, at least compared to a broiler. But that may be the case with this browning  iron or salamander.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com