[Sca-cooks] Browning the top of food was More on salamanders

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 12:14:36 PDT 2010

> Which is one of the questions I'd like to see if we can answer with the "hot coals on top of the lid" topic. Was this just for warming the food, for baking it or browning it? Or all three at different times.
>
> Stefan

My experience is that "hot coals on the lid" is most effective for baking only.  It would help to some extent with warming things up or keeping things warm, if you don't have a wall oven, but a wall oven is be the most effect warming mechanism IMHO.  If you just want to brown the top, you need to have very high heat very close to the surface you're browning, and I think it would take too long to get an iron lid red hot and it would be too difficult to maneuver close enough to brown.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.