[Sca-cooks] Medieval or Renaissance Crab Recipes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jul 25 15:35:57 PDT 2010

This is an excerpt from A Noble Boke off Cookry
(England, 1468)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com

To dight crabe or lopster tak crabe or lopster and stop hym at the
vent with one of the litille clees and sethe hym in clene water or els
stop hym in the same manner and cast hym in an ovene and let hym bak
and serue it with venygar.

This is an excerpt from Ouverture de Cuisine
(France, 1604 - Daniel Myers, trans.)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com

The same Lobster or Crab in pottage. Take all of the raw meat out, &
cut into little pieces, & put to stew with white wine, fresh butter,
ground nutmeg, a little pepper, chopped mint, or fresh citron cut into
slices, & make it stew well, that it will be fat with butter, & put it
when well cooked into little reumers, & serve so five or six to a plate.

There are others at medievalcookery.com

Johnnae