[Sca-cooks] OP Pan

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jul 29 09:48:39 PDT 2010

Yeast.  Bread has it pound cake doesn't.

Starting cold gives more time for the yeast to expand before you get to the 140
degree kill point.   Ergo, more oven spring.

I suspect, but don't know, thet the density of the pound cake is due to a slower
melt on the butter in it.

Bear

________________________________
.Bear explained:
<<< Cold oven is a baking technique where you start baking without preheating
the oven.  The primary use is in situations where you want to conserve fuel,
on a boat or in the middle of nowhere.  When you are baking bread, the
technique can increase oven spring.  For pound cake, it's usually a
precursor to baking at lower temperature for a longer period resulting in a
denser product. >>>

Okay, why does this result in an increased oven spring for a bread, but a denser
pound cake? I thought more oven spring meant a less dense product.

Is it just because you are lowering the temperature on the pound cake? Because
wouldn't that mean you would need to cook it longer, thereby getting more oven
rise?

Or is there something in the difference between a pound cake and a load of bread
that makes them act differently from each using this technique?

Stefan

.