[Sca-cooks] A Sallet of all Kinds of Hearbes and Cucumbers

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Thu Jul 29 14:41:26 PDT 2010

> The crystals of the sugar would probably have been bigger than what's in
> our 5-lb bags.  Period people needed to scrape chunks and crystals off
> the cone.  My opinion, such as it is, is that there was no need to have
> a finely-ground product for a salad.  Larger crystals such as are found
> in turbinado sugar (and I don't remember the name of the large-crystal
> UK product) would have added a nice glitter to the salad.  Modern sugar
> would dissolve on any wet surface and disappear.
>
> Alys K., pontificating

Alys, I have a sugary question I have been pondering.  I've now read a few
instructions in apothocary type handbooks that tell you how to clean sugar
with egg whites.  I got really curious when I saw someone make an
egg-white 'raft' on the cooking channel and had the a-ha moment when I saw
how it floated up the mirepoix particulate matter in the stock that was
being prepared.  Has anyone here tried to do that with a sugar cone?  I
would have to go back and read it, but is the sugar allowed to
re-crystallize?  Is the sugar whiter?

Katherine