[Sca-cooks] [SCA-Laurels] For thems who have TV in the upcoming weeks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Jul 21 21:45:02 PDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 8:10 PM, Terri Morgan wrote:
> For thems who will be enjoying air conditioning and television in the next
> few weeks, here's something that us Pennsic-goers won't be able to enjoy:
>
> http://www.fordham.edu/Halsall/medfilms.html
>
> Professor Halsall has a very comprehensive listing of historically-based
> movies, including a "worst medieval movie" category as well as a 'best
> medieval movie' one.

A very good list. There's another website with a similar list, but I
can't remember where at the moment.

At any rate, my second favorite movie ever (second only to _Lion In
Winter_ so the competition is rough) is listed there, and I strongly
recommend it- 'The Advocate' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107146/). The
only thing I have a quibble with are the upper-class womens' costumes,
but everything else- costumes, sets, props- is top notch. The story is
fascinating, the courtroom sequences are excellent. Pay close attention
to the dream sequences. I've seen this movie literally dozens of times,
and every time I see it, I notice something I haven't seen before.

If you can find a copy of it (it's out of print- sometimes little
oddball video stores have it) I also recommend 'The Sorceress'
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093556/). A bit of a sleeper, but I'm
really surprised that it isn't better known. Loosely based on some of
Etienne de Bourbon's records from his time as an Inquisitor in the 13th
century. Very nice background of village life, including strife with the
local lord. And one of my all-time favorite movie scenes, in which  a
woman manages to out-argue a Dominican.

Otherwise, work through their recommended list. A worthy use of late
summer free time. :-)

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore