[Sca-cooks] Sugar

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jul 30 14:00:12 PDT 2010

I was leaving this am when these posts appeared, so I gave this some
thought
on the ride into town.

We have the one early specific recipe which appears in Curye on
Inglysch. It's the GK 11 recipe
which is from Harley 2378 "To clarifie sugar." This is clearly a step
one recipe because you take the sugar, the water and the egg whites
and follow all the instructions so that when you are done you may end
up with clarified sugar. The recipe ends: "And wyth (th)at suger
(th)ou may make all maner confectyons."

The recipes that follow in that manuscript are then for a number of
confections.

Le Ouverture de Cuisine includes a recipe for "To prepare sugar for
casting images & fruits."

To prepare sugar for casting images & fruits. Mix melted sugar with
rose water as much as you would like to have, & let it boil a long
time until it becomes like syrup, when boiling add two well beaten egg
whites, at the end the sugar will be very white, then pass the melted
sugar through a fine sieve to separate out the egg white, then put the
sugar back on the fire, & let it boil a long time, stirring the sugar
with a spatula, casting it on top, if you see that it falls like snow
then it is cooked enough, then take it from the fire, it must always
be mixed with a spatula that it will become like little grains &
little bubbles, then cast it in the form of fruit or images as wanted.
(medievalcookery.com)

In this case the sugar starts out being melted.
---
Countess Alys asked what clarification. I suppose the question is also
in how one  interprets phrases associated with sugar in recipes. Many
don't specify anything other than just sugar, but others are quite
specific.

"for every pound of Cheries strew upon them a pound of good white
sugar in pouder" in To make cherries in confection. A Book of Cookrye

The prune recipe in the same book merely says "save that for every
pound of Prunes take xii. ounces of sugar..."

Delights for Ladies calls for "Dissolve refined or double refined
sugar, or sugar-candy itself in a little Rose water" when one candies
rosemary flowers and for marigolds it says "double refined Sugar upon
them, and turne them, and let them boile a little longer, taking the
dish from the fire: then strew more powdered Sugar on the contrary
side of the flowers." Other times in the same volume we are told to
"Take one pound of fine sugar..." Le Ouverture calls for "To make
sugar paste. Take fine sugar well sifted with a fine sieve..."

Lastly, from John Partridge's Treasurie of Commodious Conceits (which
I just supplied to medievalcookery.com)

"To Make MANVS CHRISTI. Chapter xxxv. TAke halfe a pownde of white
Suger" says John Partridge. He also instructs "To keepe Damsins in
syrop. TAke Damsins & picke them wt a knife, or a pi the take
clarified Suger as much as you shall thinke wil serue & then you must
boyle it til it be as thick as birdlime: Then boyle your Damsins in ye
clarified sugre, til they be soft..." and for barberries "To keepe
Barberyes. cap.lvi. TAke claryfied Suger, & boyle it tyll it be
thick..."

I think we can say it varies, but it would be an interesting study to
run through all the English or French or German recipes and see what
is called for when sugar is specified.

---
The important thing to remember Katherine or anyone else that wants to
try this process at home would be to work with 100 per cent cane
sugar. For all those reasons why, we have archives that go into it
(hundreds of post on this question in the past) and there's this great
award winning article by Rose Levy Beranbaum on sugar too.
Rose's Sugar Bible
Rose Levy Beranbaum
Published originally in; Food Arts Magazine, April 2000
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/12/sugar.html

Laura Mason's book Sugar-Plums and Sherbet has an excellent section on
sugar for those wanting to read something.

Hope this helps

Johnnae