[Sca-cooks] FW: Caudle spices

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat Jul 10 09:51:00 PDT 2010

"flower of Canelle" is ambiguous.  It could mean
"best quality"; or "finest grind";
or (rather unexpected) literally cassia (or
cinnamon) flower buds which are today
available in brine in tins from Chinese
supermarkets.  The presence of gillyflowers
in the recipe suggests that having cassia buds is a distinct possibility.

Blank powder is white powder is a merchant's or
cook's mixture that would vary.  I
have no period recipe, but there are modern
suggestions that it might have included
"ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and
(optionally) cloves or mace".  Yes, it would
have been either made up by the cook, or
purchased from a merchant who would have
made up the mixture.  A bit like the East Indian
"garum masala" today which some
cooks prefer mixing themselves, and which others will buy from a merchant.

As for gillyflower, there is a long speculation at:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=lUrmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=gillyflower+purchase&source=bl&ots=zFEWUVTqC8&sig=8J773Z42clCXT4srGOf4T3xNIm0&hl=en&ei=b6I4TPyUOo7WtQOM0chR&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CCUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

and

http://books.google.ca/books?id=OAMA51H9tfUC&pg=PA107&lpg=PA107&dq=gillyflower+herbal&source=bl&ots=SEOWxElXAI&sig=4b2i4ZKDCzgkmj-CbkPc5ENJkF8&hl=en&ei=fKM4TL2DD5SosQO7471R&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=gillyflower%20herbal&f=false

To obtain, you might check herbal or Chinese sources:
http://www.diseasefreetea.com/sdp/150664/4/pd-942492/553339-472104/Gillyflower.html

Thorvald