[Sca-cooks] class sign-ups vs. first-come first-in

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 08:02:56 PDT 2010

If I recall - and excuse my limited mental capabilities right now, they
stopped requiring sign ups several years ago (maybe 5).  I do not know the
real reason but I think it may have been a mixture of a lot of thing - 1.
People there first week could sign up and fill all the spaces leaving
nothing for those who arrive war week, 2.  those that do sign up don't show
up leaving classes with empty seats that could have been filled by willing
learners, 3. not enough people to man the tent for sign up, 4.  people
forgetting to try to sign up because at one time you had to sign up a day
before.  5.  I'm sure there were other reasons.

I think you can still limit the size of your class - you just have to accept
some unhappy people or people who will try to bargin with you "well, just
let me stand in the back" and such.  It's your class and you need to be
comfortable in your teaching environment.  The class book does list maximum
class size so you'd be in your right to tell them that you're sorry.
Another way to handle it is to send a helper to the tent as you're hauling
your stuff to set the ground rules.

Shoshana

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com