[Sca-cooks] Graters?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 13:50:35 PDT 2010

Hrothny asked:
<<< Has anyone seen a depiction of a grater such as would be used for nutmeg or
galengale? The new person in my barony who is going to town on recipes asked
me about them (vice a mortar & pestle) and I thought, since I was going to
Pennsic and she wasn't, that it would be a cool gift to keep an eye out for
and bring back to her.

And then I thought, "I wonder what I should be looking *for*?">>>

I think we've had some discussion of period nutmeg graters before. You might check this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium:
nutmeg-mace-msg (20K) 10/11/09 Info on the spices nutmeg and mace.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/nutmeg-mace-msg.html

For modern graters, I really like my two Microplanes. I use the smaller one, with smaller teeth, for nutmeg and it does a quick, clean job of it.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com