[Sca-cooks] Macarons

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jul 18 13:57:08 PDT 2010

Anytime something gets traced to Catherine d' Medici I reach for the salt
shaker.  Her legendary cooks (and in at least one tale, the monks who
originated the macaroon with them) are likely myth.  Married in 1533, she
was a minor court figure until 1560, when she became regent for her second
son, Charles.  She was at the peak of her power between 1560 and 1574 and it
is in this period that she became the trendsetter for France.

Linguistically, macaron does tie to the Italian, maccaroni, meaning dumpling
and the English macaroon derives from the French, so there may be something
to the connection with Catherine.  However, I would expect this to be later
than the 1533 date most of the tales tout.

There is an English reference to macaroons at the end of the 16th Century
(I'll have to dig for the source) and there is a reference from one of
Markham's texts in 1611.

Bear