[Sca-cooks] irons for browning food

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 05:35:22 PDT 2010

For 18th century cooking, we used what we called a salamander, a flat piece of metal (on a long metal handle) that we heated in the fire and then held over the item to be browned.  Very tricky to get the metal close enough to brown without touching the food, and it tended to cool off fairly quickly so to do anything in quantity was very time-consuming.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.