[Sca-cooks] Bananas

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 01:12:33 PDT 2010

Back on July 19, Talana mentioned:
<<< I worked for a produce distributor for couple of years.  The bananas arrived green, and we ripened them in the warehouse.>>>

I have noticed that a lot of the bananas I see in my local HEB grocery store still look pretty green.

So why couldn't they have harvested the bananas green and shipped them to southern Europe or even England?  Was the shipping time still too long and they would go from green to over-ripe while still being shipped? Or is there some more processing that needs to be done or a temperature range that has to be maintained that medieval shipping practices couldn't accommodate?

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com