[Sca-cooks] More thoughts on Oblaten / Wafers

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jul 6 13:25:21 PDT 2010

I had some time this weekend so I did some searching.
A 2004 German work that might be of interest is:
Panis angelorum - das Brot der Engel: Kulturgeschichte der Hostie
The Authors are Oliver Seifert, Ambrosius Backhaus

  Panis angelorum. Das Brot der Engel, Kulturgeschichte der Hostie,
Begleitbuch zur gleichnamigen Ausstellung des Museums der Brotkultur,
Thorbecke-Verlag Ostfildern, 2004  ISBN 13: 978-3-7995-0134-7  It can
be purchased from a number of places. I think my copy came from the
Bread Museum at Ulm which released the volume. http://www.museum-brotkultur.de/
  €   Einzelpreis: 9,95 EUR   184 pages

Subjects:  Art, European;  Bread in art; Christian art and symbolism;
Food; Lord's Supper
It contains this chapter titled Geschichte (und Technik) der
Hostienbäckerei which contains photos and illustrations of wafer irons
for making the hostie or what will become the consecrated wafers. Also
the other chapters contain a number of other artworks that feature
wafers.

Johnnae

On Jun 27, 2010, at 12:01 AM, wheezul at canby.com wrote and mentioned a
number of recipes and questions about wafers.