[Sca-cooks] cow butter?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 3 10:57:27 PDT 2010

Doc replied to my inquiries with:

> Do we see "sheep" or "goat" butter called out in some medieval recipes?

I haven't come across either in medieval English or French sources, but I have seen recipes for "almond butter" to be served on meatless days.
--------
Thanks.

I wasn't including those sorts of things, or modernly, margarine. "almond butter" is really a butter substitute, like margarine and not a variety of butter.

For those who are new to this group and who may have missed the discussions on almond butter and almond cheese:
alnd-mlk-chs-msg (16K) 4/11/10 Period almond milk cheese. Cheese and butter-like compounds make from almond milk.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/alnd-mlk-chs-msg.html

The dividing line between almond butter and almond cheese seems to be rather blurred, so I have both grouped together in this file.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com