[Sca-cooks] Goat Cheese

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 4 00:10:36 PDT 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:16 AM, Linda Larson wrote:

> I own dairy goats, and have made cheese for the past few years.  So far, I have used purchased cultures, but I'd like to try using my raw milk and wild cultures.  Any advice?  Also, where could I find documentaton for period cheesemaking?  The sources I've found, like Gervase Markham are just beyond the SCA time frame.  Anything earlier that would help?
>
> I have one lactating ewe, and plan to try milking her.  I'll let you all know how it goes!
>
> Lidia Allen

IIRC, Columella's De Re Agri Cultura (the one that is not by Cato The Elder, but somewhat similarly titled), maybe 3rd or 4th century CE, has some goat's milk cheese recipes.

As for Markham, I believe the 1615 edition of The English Housewife contains a lot of material previously published as far back as the 1580's, so one could make a strong case for being within the scope of the SCA.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter