[Sca-cooks] Siege Cooking at Battlemoor

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:19:31 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>wrote:

> Hasn't the emphasis for all these siege cooking contests always been on fun
> and food? How is having an emphasis on fun and food this year any different
> from in the past?

It is my understanding that (how do I put this delicately...) some siege
cooking events have been geared more towards "authentic", "period",
"documentable" items rather than just on food and fun.  Some groups believe
keeping to authentic, period and documentable should be the main focus of
these competitions, others not so much.  I'm a "not so much" person - I
think it's fun to see how each group incorporates all the ingredients into
something edible and yummy and I'm not so concerned about the other stuff
although it's great to see someone be able to do it all!

> Have all the teams generally been able to work past 'surprise' ingredients
> into their presentations? Is it a requirement that they do so? or does it
> just gain you additional points?

I do not know all the rules for the Battlemoor Siege Cooking event but, it
is my understanding, in other siege cooking competitions, that everything in
the basket MUST be used (think Food Networks "Chopped").  Failure to use an
ingredient that was given may be grounds for disqualification.

I'm sure others will pipe in with their interpretations.

Shoshanna