[Sca-cooks] Period Cheese

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jun 4 09:17:57 PDT 2010

Markham is generally accepted as an appropriate source.
The English Housewife dates to 1615, but much of Markham's
country works are reworkings of Maison Rustique which was translated
in 1600.

You might also want to take a look at such books as:

Bartholomew Dowe's Dairie booke for good huswives which
is anexed to  The householders philosophie which
is that odd household manual by Torquato Tasso.

It was released as a facsimile in 1975 as part of the
English Experience series #765. The publisher was
Amsterdam : Theatrum Orbis Terrarum and in the USA by
Norwood, N.J. : W.J. Johnson. ISBN:90-221-0765-5.
A DAIRIE BOOKE FOR GOOD HUSWIVES is dated 1588 and
discusses the making and keeping of white meats
which is what dairy products were known as.

The Oxford papers from 1999 which were published under the title
Milk: Beyond the Dairy. Published by Prospect Books.

See also Robin Weir's Recipes from the Dairy.

Johnnae