[Sca-cooks] al-Bagdadi substitution question

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 08:39:25 PDT 2010

Saluti,

I am looking at the following recipe for a feast I am doing:

Urnin wa-khubz al-Abazir
The way to make urnin is to put three ounces of fresh sesame oil on a
pound of flour (with a little water). Then make it into cakes, and put
finely pounded spiced almonds, pistachios and sugar in the middle of
them. Gather them and stamp them; let there be a mould for them like a
box. Bake them in t he brick oven. Some people take the necessary
amount of dates, remove their seeds, knead them with a little
rosewater, sesame seed and toasted poppy seed and put it inside them.
As for khubz al-abazir, it is that you put four ounces of sesame oil
and half a rub of peeled sesame seed on a pound of flour, and knead it
well. Them bake it in the brick oven and take it up.

Specifically the Date filled version. While I love dates, I have 2
large fig trees in my yard and no date trees. I have several pounds of
dried figs from last year's harvest languishing in my freezer and was
trying to decide if I could substitute figs for dates. They have
similar textures and flavor profiles and both were available in the
time period and region.

This isn't for an A&S entry, but if it is completely out of line I
don't want to do it.

Thank you for your thoughts,

--
Serena da Riva