[Sca-cooks] al-Bagdadi substitution question

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:33:54 PDT 2010

Honestly, I'd be more worried about texture and sugar content whether or
not they taste alike (well, ok sugar is part of taste, but also part of any
texture equation ). Dates are very dense, in my experience, while figs are
not.

Also, dates have waywayway more residual sugar than figs. CalorieKing.com
has 1 date (0.3 oz) at 4.5 g of sugar, and 1 fig (1.4 oz) at 6.5 g sugar.
So were talking dates having 3.25 times more sugar than figs (assuming
these figures are accurate). I wonder if you'll end up with a larger amount
of stuffing needed for the same flavor umph, or whether the amount of extra
sugar needed to make an equivalent sweetness will overwhelm the fig flavor.
Sounds like an interesting experiment.

FWIW, it sounds like from the recipe you posted that the usual version is
stuffed with nut paste, with dates as a variant. Why worry about fruit at
all, then, and see if there is something else you can add that calls for
figs?

toodles, margaret

--On Monday, June 07, 2010 6:15 PM -0400 Barbara Benson