[Sca-cooks] Non-SCA food passions?

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 17:06:57 PDT 2010

> So, what is your current foodie passion? SCA or otherwise?
>
> Gunthar

I have become mildly obsessed with canning. As with you, much of this
is as a result of my first attempts at gardening last year. This year
is my second, and I cannot say it appears that I have learned
anything. ;) I have planted way too much (29 tomato plants, 100 row
feet of cucumbers, 16 tomatillo plants, 12 cantelope, 8 yellow squash
6 pumpkin, various and sundry peppers, a row of Edamame "Beer Friend"
and a row each of white and Christmas butter beans) and the weeds are
overwhelming (not surprising because last year it was a patch (and by
patch I mean 100 foot square) of lawn that got plowed under).

But canning came upon me last summer and I have to say I have it bad.
I have "put up" a fair number of things from red and green salsas
through fruit jellies and jams into herbal and pepper type jellied. I
have done some pickles and such - with the Thai Inspired Hot Pickled
Carrots going over like gangbusters. I started a mundane food blog a
little over a year ago and it can be found here:
http://robbingpeter.wordpress.com/

If you go look you will also see that I have an enthusiasm for
photographing my food also.

A more recent development than the canning, yet still food related, is
my building and populating a Chicken Coop. I cannot wait to have a
ready supply of "farm fresh" eggs that I know exactly what went into
the feed. The chickens also have a blog:
http://robbingpeterschickens.wordpress.com/

both blogs are in dire need of updating, but I just survived managing
my first Kingdom A&S as the Kingdom A&S officer the weekend before
last and this weekend I am providing all of the food for the
ball/hafla at the Kingdom Dance Guild's (Saltare) event. Then in
September I will be cooking the feast for our Baronial
Investiture/Traditional Fighting Event called Red Tower combo. So the
updating has fallen by the wayside.

I will be updating the food blog next week with a canning adventure
(which I have yet to have) so that I don't get kicked out of tigress's
can jam ( http://tigressinajam.blogspot.com/2010/01/welcome-to-tigress-can-jam.html
). If you are interested in canning at all, I recommend taking a look
at the monthly challenges - the sheer number of canning recipes you
can look at based around a single theme - well, it is pretty amazing.

Sorry to have babbled on ...

--
Serena da Riva