[Sca-cooks] cheese bread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 17 01:43:21 PDT 2010

Goddess and Queen Pixel said:
<<<Currently I'm working on the "pipes" recipe from the "Wel ende edelike
spijse" manuscript*. I bought a new mortar and pestle (one of those huge
Thai granite ones) and now a cheesemaking friend of mine has made me a
Gouda for use once I get the recipe to where I want it. One trial down,
some unknown number to go...

*1.21. Dough to make "pipes".
Take cheese from Gouda and eggs. Grind together with white flour. Lay it
on dry flour  and make small biscuits of it. >>>

Is this the entire recipe?

Are these shaped like roundish biscuits? Or like "cheese straws"? ie: "pipes"?

Are you supposed to fry these? Or bake them?

This sounds like it could be an interesting dish, especially for something like a revel. Although they might be a cook and immediately serve sort of thing. I'd like to get your redaction when you have it to a point you are satisfied. I've tried some of the period fried cheese recipes and mostly I just got a big mess. :-(

<<< I'm teaching a class at our summer camping event on how to cook from
medieval recipes, and the sheepshearing feast A&S entry will be making
another appearance at that event as well >>>

Huh? Sheepshearing feast? Is the premise that this is a feast that a bunch of sheepshearers would eat after a day of shearing sheep? Or all the A&S entries have to do with sheepshearing or sheep?  Or is this an event where the non-Peers pay exorbitant entry fees but Peers get in free? or...

Stefan
...since we seem to be on sheep...
The-Sheep-art (8K) 10/30/02 "The Sheep That Changed the Face of Art and History" by Blacksheep.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/The-Sheep-art.html
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com