[Sca-cooks] homemade bitter almond extract (long)

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jun 18 03:12:30 PDT 2010

This has always been an odd question because the information
varied from source to source. Now we have the web and blogs and
so we end up with more opinions and "facts" being stated, like

"Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:16 PM
Have never bought them from Chinese store (I'll have to try this -
bitter almonds are supposed to be unavailable in the US unless by
prescription), but can't see why they wouldn't be the same as other
bitter almonds, which do indeed contain prussic acid. I can't give you
exact chapter and verse on the safe percentage, but there are some
useful guidelines in various historic recipes. I've written about
several of these in the past few years, and have tested them both in a
"safe" modern version (using all sweet almonds and adding bitter
almond extract for the flavoring) and in a "dangerous" authentic one,
substituting the kernels of apricot or peach pits for the bitter
almonds. (The latter BTW was quite common practice in the 18th-19th
centuries and is a legitimate substitution on all counts; apricots and
peaches, as well as plums and roses, come from the same family as
almonds , and their pits taste the same and are equally poisonous.)
The proportions given in most old recipes call for anywhere from 1/10
to 1/4 bitter almonds; I have used up to 1/4 without any ill effects.
The discovery of prussic acid's poisonous properties and its presence
in bitter almonds dates to the early 19th century (in fact, Mrs.
Beeton solemnly mentions the danger in 1861); yet recipes calling for
bitter almonds persisted in cookbooks right up until about 1920.
Anecdotally, you have to figure that if many people died or got sick
after eating macaroons or ratafias made from those recipes, someone
would have noticed the fact! So I venture to suggest that you're OK
with up to 25% bitter almonds. But if it makes you feel safer, cut
back on the proportion and compensate with extract."

Which led to this recipe

"Posted 20 June 2004 - 04:57 PM