[Sca-cooks] language pitfalls

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 18 14:49:03 PDT 2010

This came across the SCA-Newcomers list today. Since so many folks here are busy with various translations and we've had many discussions on the particular meanings of various words, I thought Lord Matthewe's comments might be of interest. Perhaps some of you native German speakers might also relate to this.

Maybe someone can explain this "alte Deutsche Scrift" comment, as well.

Stefan

<<< language pitfalls - was  Interesting Question
   Posted by: "julian wilson" smnco37 at yahoo.co.uk smnco37
   Date: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:08 am ((PDT))

Bambi, some of us are well aware of the pitfalls of foreign languages which contain words like US or UK English, but have altered meanings. Chuckle!!
When I first visited France as a schoolboy, " when the world was young, and the Queen was new, and there were no unclean ideals in the land" [points for anyone recdognising the quotation] -  I stayed with a VIP upper-Middle-Class  family who owned a string of Breweries and Bars throughout Metropolitan France. One of the French words for a [drinking] Bar is "brasserie". I kept on confusing it with "brassiere" to their great amusement, and my considerable embarrassment.
Then there are the opportunities to make bi-lingual puns - as in "in Germany, fast food is the würst that can happen to you!" ["würst" being the German word for sausage].
 When I learned my German, at school over 60 years ago, one of the first nouns we were taught in preparation for a School Exchange Trip to Solingen, was  "Abort" so that if we were "caught-short", - we could ask for directions to the nearest Toilet. Andhow  to find a Policeman - or the local Police Station - it was "SchüPo" or "SchüPoHaus" ["ShüPo" bering short for "SchützPolizei"]
Returning to Germany to work, after an absence of decades, I found my school-era German came flooding back - but noticed that many words - "Abort" and "SchüPo" amongst them - had either gone out of use entirely - or changed their meanings.
More embarassment while i updated my vocab. and my idioms!
However, a compensation [especially when visiting Museums] was that I'd not forgotten how to both write and read the "alte Deutsche Scrift" [still in wide user during my school-age visits] - to the considerable surprise of many Germans younger than I - who had never learned how to do this.

Lord Matthewe Baker,
 [still amused ny the memories!] >>>

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com