[Sca-cooks] Snails?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 22:41:37 PDT 2010

Eduardo asked:
<<< I have a few cans of snails left over from our New Year?s celebrations and
thought that it would be fun to play with them at the cook?s encampment at
AnTir West War.
Does anyone have any recipes (preferably after 1450).>>>

I'm not sure of the years but you might look at this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:

snails-msg (14K) 1/15/08 Eating of snails in period. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/snails-msg.html

Ok, there are a surprising number of snail recipes mentioned and most of them do appear to be after 1450.

Stefan
(Maybe I need to look through this file in detail, as well. I have a couple of cans of snails to try, but didn't know what to do with them. I will, of course, be cooking for one since there is no way wife would try a snail.)
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com