[Sca-cooks] Edible Bugs

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 23 05:35:29 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 1:24 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 8:01 PM, Kingstaste wrote:
>
>> I have been asked if I know of a source for edible grasshoppers and
>> crickets.  I can Google this myself, but I thought I'd ask here to see if
>> anyone has any experience with this sort of ingredient, and if so, what
>> sources did you find?
>
> A friend of my son's is a producer for a morning radio show at Fordham University, and she recently did a piece involving a Mexican chef in New York (I think) who fed her grasshopper tacos. I've just dropped her a note asking if she can get me his name.
>
> Sources as in sources for insects, or preparation guides?
>
> If the latter, there's always Calvin Schwabe's "Unmentionable Cuisine", which would sure have pretty detailed instructions...
>
> I'll let you know if I hear anything from Brennan's friend.

I found this on the WFUV archive site, their Cityscape program from May 22nd, I believe:

http://wfuv.streamguys.us/archive/10105.asx

I haven't heard the whole thing, but it mentions the name of the restaurant and the chef in question...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter