[Sca-cooks] elderberries/flowers

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Jun 30 13:15:43 PDT 2010

Hello all!

first to answer Stefan's question if holderpluet ( can also be plud/pluem)
is flowers: YES!!!! Yummy/tasty: dried good for tea, FRESH delicious mostly
made into hollerstrauben, You WANT to have a sambuca nigra shrub in your
garden (well, we do at home in Carinthia and in Austria this is a wild shrub
all over the countryside, making collecting flowers and berries easy ;-)

And again yes you remeber correctly there seems to be a rumpold recipe: we
did discuss Hollerstrauben (the question was a recipe for elderberry/flower
tart)and Stefan posted a excerpt of his flower mesage file:

an excerpt from a message by Thomas

- -- Not a tart, but an interesting recipe in Rumpolt: Take the
elderflowers on the stalk (?), wash them and put them into a hot, sweet
dough, then cook them in hot fat and put sugar onto it (the German text
is online in the 'Gebackenes'-chapter of Rumpolt; #13). I heard that
this is still made in Bohemia today.

so here is the not so modern version.

I would not wash as you loss flowers by washing, have not checked the
original yet.

Katharina

btw elderberry jelly is a good acompaniement  for game meat, either by
itself or a mix of cranberries (either variant: american or Eurpoean) or
rowan berries (european mountain ash or rowan Sorbus aucuparia) or Cornelian
cherry (Cornus mas)

Another question is the weckerin book on line?