[Sca-cooks] Food type results from Grand Outlandish

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Jun 1 10:06:04 PDT 2010

This past weekend went pretty well for food type things at
Grand Outlandlish.  The weather was pretty agreeable, and
although the traditional dusty, it was a nice event.  Here
is what I participated in this weekend.

CLASS

On Friday, I did a class and tasting on Roman Cuisine.
 The attendance was low (as is pretty usual for early
Friday classes) but enthusiastic.  Quite a few "Imagine",
and "I would have never...", "You MADE cheese?" and "I am
going to try this at home" comments, which to me, says a
success, as much as the yummy/nommy noises do. 8)
 Shameless pimping of Midwinter event, but a fun class as
well.

I gave them:  Herbed Fresh Cheese, Meatballs (stuffed with
capers rather than the more expensive pine nuts) with a
grape juice/wine reduction sauce, Carrots w/cumin,
Cucumbers and Fennel, Olive Spread, Bread, Melon w/ Mint
and Almond/Pine Nut stuffed Dates, Eggs (albeit hard
boiled) w/ Pine Nut Sauce.  I deliberately chose dishes
that could be served cold, and served them alternating
tart with savory or sweet.  I did not give them recipes,
but listings of ingredients so they could work out their
own.

Everyone enjoyed the class, and there was enough to take
some tidbits to the List Table and the Baroness, who
happily munched throughout the tournament.

SIEGE COOKING - THE FREAKIN' WHEATBERRIES WIN!!!!!

That was the name of our team... the Freakin'
Wheatberries... from an ingredient none of us had ever
used, eaten or even seen before.  Whenever we would go
over what we had done and needed to do, the wheatberries
very quickly became the F)*&#$ wheatberries.  We cleaned
it up for the competition. ;)

It was a very odd mix of foods and style, but was fun and
challenging.  We got a box of "staples" and got to go to
the "market" for five other items, none of them replicated
at the market or in the box.  You could use one item from
your camp.  The theme for Outlandish was the Portugese in
Japan, so we had cross cultural ingredients.  Fortunately,
items were labeled in the box and market.

In the box:  flour, salt, pepper, eggs, brown rice,
wheatberries, fresh herbs (chives, oregano, marjoram,
rosemary and sage), cane vinegar, rice vinegar, olive oil,
butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, chicken (cut up already),
salt pork, potatoes, onions, apples, cone sugar, rice
noodles, won ton wrappers, garlic and a bit of feta
cheese.

 From the market I got:  cubed lamb, eggplant and string
beans (didn't know the beans were in there til I opened
the bag all the way), cinnamon, cherries and leeks.

 From camp:  whiskey (my team was daytripping, and connor
and i were eating sammies and out of cans, so not much to
work with there).

Later that day:  bok choy (one team did not show, so the
folks presenting the competition came around (about two
hours before judging) and we had to take one thing from
the box, either replicating what you had or something
different)

Schitzophrenic, no?

My team (Lord Rosario, Lord Tehran and myself) made a
little taste of East Meets West.  We made:  Sliced Teryaki
Chicken Breast over Won Ton Noodles dressed with rice
vinegar, soy and chive flowers --- Stir fried Chicken w/
string beans and bok choy over Fried Rice --- Stir Fried
Eggplant with Cubed Salt Pork over Rice Noodles --- Lamb
and Leek Stew with Potatoes and Herbs (all the herbs) ---
Flat Bread --- Carmelized Onions and Apples --- Apples and
Cherries w/ Whiskey Butter Sauce and (%*&#%^@)
Wheatberries --- Sweet Pan-Fried Pastry with Feta Cinnamon
Spread.

Yes, Feta and Cinnamon Spread.  We had not idea what to do
with feta (less than 1/4 cup) and flashing on an old
"Chopped" episode where someone mixed goat cheese and a
sweetener, I decided to mix the feta, cone sugar and
cinnamon for a dessert spread.  It was FANTASTIC!!!  A
little savory, a little sweet, savory, sweet... really
interesting.

I had lamb and eggplant, and the first thing I did was
seperate them, as I thought the Greek way too obvious.
 And I always loved the Sechzuan eggplant/minced pork dish
in one of my cookbooks.  People who hate eggplant liked
it.

We only had two burners, and we still finished a half hour
early.

All in all, lots of fun.  Only three points seperated
first and second place, and three points second from
third.  It was the first experience for the number two
team.

Now on to siege cooking at Battlemoor during July 4
weekend.  I am hosting this time, assisted by fellow
wheatberry Lord Tehran.

Cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator, Student Admissions
University of New Mexico